Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Cinnamon Sugar Apple Chips


For a brief moment in time back in June, I attempted the Paleo diet. I can't remember if we talked about this or not. I lasted all of 12 days with no sugar, no dairy, no grains, no soy, no sweeteners of any kind.

Basically I couldn't eat anything I loved. And it was awful.

Dusty on the other hand, LOVED the paleo diet. He went a whole 23 days eating nothing but fruit, veggies, meat and loved every bit of it (until he realized how much he missed ice cream!). He is waaaay more strong willed than I am. Food is my weakness. Especially dairy and anything carb related. I remember the night I gave in to my cravings. I ate a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's and I regretted nothing! Only that I went 12 days without my favorite foods.


Could you imagine going into the holiday season eating that way? Bless all of you that have to eat paleo. I admire you all!

One of the things I discovered while going paleo was that I loved apple chips! Potato chips are a "no-no" on the diet because they contain soy. In case you didn't know, literally almost everything contains soy! So when it came to lunches, apple chips became my BFF.


Even though I'm not eating paleo or attempting the Whole30 Diet, I'm still a big fan of apple chips and Dusty is as well. BTW, these are not paleo because they have sugar. But they are tasty, crunchy and healthy! These apple chips are super easy to make, only requiring a little patience for baking. They are perfect for packing in lunches or quick snack.


Cinnamon Sugar Apple Chips
Servings: 2
  • 2 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith Apples
  • 1 tablespoon White Granulated Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees (F). Line two large baking sheets with Silpats or Parchment Paper. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, carefully slice the apples into 1/8 inch slices, or as thin as you can go. Remove the seeds and lay the apple slices on a single layer on the baking sheets.

In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar. Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over one side of the apples slices. Bake in the oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours (depending on your oven), flipping half way through, until the apple slices are dried and just crispy.

Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks. Enjoy!

Originally on The Girly Girl Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment