Thursday, June 11, 2015

Huckleberry Sherbet

Ice cream is a frozen dessert containing 100% dairy. Sorbet is a frozen fruit dessert that is 100% non-dairy. What do you get when you have 50% dairy + 50% frozen fruit? Sherbert! Sometimes, I really love math.


The fabulous thing about this sherbet recipe is that it is so easy to change up! You don't have to make it with just huckleberries, you can use any berry of your desire whether it be cherries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc. You get the point. Either way, it's absolutely creamy, dreamy and delicious.

The reasons I went for huckleberry flavored sherbet are......

1) Huckleberries are my favorite berry of all time.

2) The huckleberries were in the freezer were begging for me to use them.

3) I know that the men in my life absolutely love huckleberries. My father-in-law in particular is a huckleberry fanatic and I'm pretty sure if I tell him I've made a dessert containing huckleberries, that he would instantly be over at my house for a taste.


Huckleberry Sherbet
Servings: 6
  •  3 cups fresh or frozen Huckleberries (or any berry of your choice)
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
  • 2 cups 2% or Whole Milk
  • 2 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
To a saucepan add the huckleberries with sugar. Bring the berries to a slow boil and simmer until the huckleberries are beginning to break apart and the mixture is becoming syrupy. Cool the huckleberry mixture to room temperature. If you are using a different berry that has lots of seeds (i.e. blackberries), run the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to separate the seeds from the berry syrup.

Add the cooled huckleberry mixture to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add milk, cream and lemon juice and blend briefly to combine.

Freeze the sherbet according to your ice cream maker's instructions, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 24 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Originally on The Girly Girl Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment